Specific objective of LG Action:
- Raise awareness among LGs in the EU27 on their powers for change, their responsibility and key role to drastically reduce GHG emissions in their corporate and community sector.
- Mobilise LGs to link up to and influence European and international (UN) climate protection processes (including the European Covenant of Mayors) and to contribute to a European framework and the global climate negotiations,
- Identify and develop European LG Positions that can feed into national, European and international climate and energy dialogues.
- Assist national-LG and European-LG dialogue with national governments, to improve communication and recognition / support for local climate action, in the view of implementing the EU climate and energy objectives.
- Conduct advocacy at a national, European and international level to gain recognition for the essential role LGs play in the climate and energy debate. Use the COP 15 event in 2009 (where the post-2012 international climate negotiations will be concluded), and the COP 16 in 2010, to present the European LG Position(s) and update the situation of EU27 national dialogues.